Shoulder stand to stabilize the hormonal changes in women
When we talk about yoga it is now a commonly known fact that it is the exercise of not only our body but of our mind, soul and more importantly the inner organs of our body.
As the female body evolves we go through a lot of changes and most of it involves the hormonal changes that affect our bodies greatly.
When a woman goes through menopause the symptoms commonly seen are:
Fatigue, night sweats, sleep deprivation, insomnia, hot flushes, cold feeling, osteoporosis, pain in joints, depression, nervousness, anxiety, skin dryness, hair fall, vaginal discomforts and so on.
Favorable outcomes were seen when investigating shoulder stand as a potential treatment for the hormonal and other physiological changes in postmenopausal women.
Benefits of shoulder stand:
- reduction in vasomotor symptoms: night sweats, hot flushes, vaginal dryness
- Reduction in the psychological symptoms: moodiness.
- Enhanced adrenocortical activity: hormones that regulate blood pressure, control blood sugar, burn fat and proteins.
- Whole body muscle contractions helps in activating all the muscles in anti gravity direction.
- Temperature regulation of the body.
- Breathing in inversion facilitates increased abdominal breathing and slows the pace of breathing.
- Calming of the nervous system helping in insomnia, anxiety and restlessness.
Start with supine position and bring both legs to 90 degrees straight.
Take the leg further towards your head by raising the buttock.
Straighten the hip upwards and support the back with both hands.
Hold this position and continue breathing slowly. Come back in the reverse order.
Contraindications to shoulder stand
1. Severe hypertension
4. Disc problems
6. Osteoporosis and arthritis
Help yourself ladies and help our fit mommies too.